OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 03, 2026

Image
TOPIC: DON’T HARDEN YOUR HEART MEMORISE : Happy is the man that feareth alway: but he that hardeneth his heart shall fall into mischief. Proverbs 28:14 READ : Psalm 95:8-11 8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. 10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways: 11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest. MESSAGE There is great danger in hardening one’s heart to the word of God. In Revelation 2:7, the Bible says, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches…” In today’s world, many people are unwilling to listen to God’s word, especially when it condemns their wrongdoings. They mock and neglect genuine men of God and despise God’s ordinances. They are usually found in churches where sin is not condemned and where ungodl...

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: SUNDAY JULY 30TH 2023

TOPIC:  LUST VERSUS TEMPTATION

MEMORISE: 
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:15 

READ: James 1:12 -15

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

MESSAGE
Temptation is the pressure to yield to influences that can lead people away from God and into sins. The Bible makes it clear that all human beings are subject to temptation, but the outcome often depends on the person’s state of mind and loyalty to God. On the other hand, lust is an inordinate and compulsive desire for sex, food, riches or power. Lust is natural to unbelievers (2 Peter 2:14-18) but Christian must fight against it by showing self-control (Galatians 5:16-21),. The Bible condemns lust and describes  it as an abomination to God. A classic example of an inappropriate desire is one that led Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3:6).

Lust and temptation are like a tag team champion –they work together so well that it is often difficult to differentiate them. The desire for position or superiority if not moderated by the Holy Spirit may translate to inappropriate quest for power, which had turned some to murderer. Some politicians do this with impunity and when the judgment of God later descends on them, they would say it is the handiwork of the devil. At first, David only desire to have a taste of Bathsheba- the wife of Uriah, but it ended up in the murder of her husband, which then brought a divine curse on David’s lineage. 

Beloved, what are you lusting after? Repent today because it would have a sour end-sin and death. James 1: 13-15………

The above Bible passage reveals fundamental truths about lust and temptation. God is not responsible for human temptation. Temptation becomes activated in an individual when he or she is drawn by an inner lust and thus becomes enticed. Thereafter, lust would produce sin, which eventually leads to death. I pray for you today, you will not become an abandoned project or die before your time, in Jesus name.

PRAYER POINT
Father, please deliver me from the power of lust and temptation, in Jesus name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Isaiah 53-56

AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A ADEBOYE

HYMN 8: I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR

1 I need Thee ev'ry hour,

Most gracious Lord;

No tender voice like Thine

Can peace afford.

Refrain:

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;

Ev'ry hour I need Thee;

Oh, bless me now, my Savior,

I come to Thee.

2 I need Thee ev'ry hour,

Stay Thou nearby;

Temptations lose their pow’r

When Thou art nigh. [Refrain]

3 I need Thee ev'ry hour,

In joy or pain;

Come quickly and abide,

Or life is vain. [Refrain]

4 I need Thee ev'ry hour,

Teach me Thy will;

And Thy rich promises

In me fulfill. [Refrain]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: THURSDAY MAY 9TH 2024

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 6TH 2025

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: SUNDAY, 22ND JUNE, 2025