OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 02, 2026

TOPIC: REMAIN GRATEFUL

MEMORISE:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.
Psalm 26:7

READ: Psalm 103:1-5

1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

MESSAGE
Some time ago, I went to a man’s house to conduct a programme. It was a night programme, and the owner of the house asked me to spend the night at his house afterwards because it was too late for me to return home. I obliged, and in the morning, he asked me to wait for breakfast. When it was time to eat, a chef came and asked my host what he wanted to eat.

After so much back and forth, my host finally decided that he would have bread and eggs for breakfast. Then, for the next few minutes, another back-and-forth ensued because the chef asked my host how he wanted his eggs prepared – scrambled, poached, or fried – before he finally settled on boiled eggs. Then, it was time for another debate: how do you want your egg boiled, hard-boiled or medium-boiled? By then, it had been more than 25 minutes, and I had gotten really hungry.

Finally, the chef turned to me when he finished with his boss and asked, “Sir, what will you eat?” I told him to give me anything he had. He said he had bread and eggs, and I said it was fine. Then, he asked if I wanted an omelette or bacon, the number of eggs I wanted, and so on. I told him that anything was fine, as long as it was enough to satisfy my hunger. After the whole ordeal, I thought to myself that even though I had no money, I had a good appetite at least. Child of God, while you may not have everything you desire in life yet, you must be grateful for the things you have.

Ecclesiastes 6:2 says that the sight of the eyes is better than the wandering of desire. Many people are not grateful for what they have because they are consumed with thinking about the things they want. They do not appreciate the things they can see because of their wandering desires. Beloved, if God has given you the gift of life, be grateful.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 says that as long as you are joined to all the living, there is hope; for a living dog is better than a dead lion. As long as you are alive, there is hope that you will achieve the things you desire. Don’t be so focused on the things you wish you had that you forget to appreciate God for all you already have. In all things, give thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

PRAYER POINT
Father, please help me to remain grateful for all You have done for me, in Jesus’ name.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR

Matthew 1-4
HYMN: Praise to the Lord

1 Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is your health and salvation!
Come, all who hear; now to his temple draw near,
join me in glad adoration.

2 Praise to the Lord, above all things so wondrously reigning;
sheltering you under his wings, and so gently sustaining!
Have you not seen all that is needful has been
sent by his gracious ordaining?

3 Praise to the Lord, who will prosper your work and defend you;
surely his goodness and mercy shall daily attend you.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
if with his love he befriends you.

4 Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore him!
All that has life and breath, come now with praises before him.
Let the Amen sound from his people again;
gladly forever adore him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: THURSDAY MAY 9TH 2024

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 6TH 2025

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: SUNDAY, 22ND JUNE, 2025