OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: MONDAY, OC6T 05, 2026

Image
TOPIC: WILL YOU BE READY? II MEMORISE : Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. Luke 12:40 READ : Matthew 24:4-14 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. 6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold....

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL. LEGALISTIC OR CHRIST-LIKE? : THURSDAY 22ND OCTOBER 2020.

MEMORISE:
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; Ephesians 2:19

READ: Luke 18:9-14

9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

MESSAGE:
A Christian is not necessarily someone who follows a set of religious rules, but rather, someone who has a cordial relationship with Christ. A Christian behaves like Christ.

Christianity is about Christ who lives in you and not all about do’s and don’ts. Most people who see Christianity only from the view point of rules and regulations are hypocrites. The Pharisees and Sadducees condemned Jesus for healing on a Sabbath. Jesus pointed out their hypocrisy when He asked if they would not go searching for any of their sheep that went missing on a Sabbath (Mark 3:1-6).

Rules and regulations are good, but they must never take the place of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Ghost in you that helps you live completely holy and not the rules. Adhering to rules does not make a sinner acceptable to Christ, it is only the willingness to surrender that guarantees salvation. You Christianity should be centered on Christ’s love for you, His death, resurrection and promise of eternal life, not some rules to be followed.

For some people, they give preeminence to rules so they can earn the right to boast and arrogantly declare their ‘holiness’ forgetting that “….we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags...” (Isaiah 64:6).

The best thing rules can give us is self-righteousness, which can make one be like the Pharisee who went to the temple to pray in Luke 18:10-12. However, justification by God can only come through God’s Spirit in you.

Legalistic people care more about how people see them than how God sees them. They are always looking for who is breaking the rules so they can attack and even gossip them (Luke 18:11). God does not want you to boast about your holiness because only through His Spirit can you live holy.

“Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:9

KEY POINT:
The Christian life epitomize dying to self and being Christ-like in all we do. Are you really Christ-like.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:   John 7-8

AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE 

HYMN 12: I AM THINE O LORD.

1. I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.

o Refrain:
Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.

2. Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

3. Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend!

4. There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: THURSDAY MAY 9TH 2024

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 6TH 2025

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: SUNDAY, 22ND JUNE, 2025