OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2026

Image
TOPIC: YOU HAVE A PURPOSE MEMORISE : For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end Jeremiah 29:11 READ : Jeremiah 1:4-10 4 Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, 5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. 6 Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. 7 But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. 8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. 9 Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. 10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and t...

ABUSE OF POWER FORBIDDEN Monday 4 June 2012

Open Heavens Devotional by Pastor E.A. Adeboye
Memorise: But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:6
Read: 2 Samuel 12:1-10
One thing God cannot stand is oppression. He cannot tolerate abuse of power or office. As we know, all power belongs to God (Psalms 62:11; Matthew 28:18). Whatever power you have been given to exercise is simply delegated. Daniel 4:25-26 says God rules in the affairs of men. He is interested in who becomes what and how they use the power God has given to them. In 2 Samuel 12:1-14, when David abused his power by taking another man’s wife and murdering him, God was grossly displeased and judged him by saying that the sword shall never depart from his house. That judgement was a fatal one! It is like saying, because you arranged the death of my innocent servant, in your lineage, the enemies will always have a reason to fight and kill your descendants. The harvest of David’s sin was beyond the normal: it was extraordinary! This tells us that as a believer, you must be afraid of oppression a fellow believer, especially the less privileged. It is even worse if the fellow is very dedicated to God. Why? One offence against him could earn you a generational harvest of the same evil you did-making you no different from Gehazi.
It is a very dangerous thing to abuse one’s authority. The reason God puts you there or allowed you to get there is so that you can positively touch lives, and improve the lot of those under you, be it in government, church or work place. With all his wisdom and wealth, Solomon only succeeded in oppressing the poor Israelites hence after his death, the whole nation went to Rehoboam- Solomon’s son and successor- to ask that he made his father’s yoke on them lighter (1 kings 12:1-4). Is your presence in that position or office bringing smiles to the less privileged brethren?
KEY POINT:
According to Matthew 18:6, drowning is a lighter punishment for oppressors of believers compared with what they will receive for their oppressive acts. Are you an oppressor?
 
Bible in one year: Psalms 4-6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 6TH 2025

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: THURSDAY MAY 9TH 2024

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL: SUNDAY, 22ND JUNE, 2025